December 13th is my date of birth. I remember in my younger years, I would wait with great anticipation for my birthday morning. Birthdays were exciting because my family would wake me up with their croaky morning voices singing ‘Happy birthday‘, my Mom would make me a yummy big breakfast and later I’d meet my friends & family for a birthday lunch.
As I’ve grown older, I’ve realised that birthdays, surely, should mean more than just a materialistic celebration or gifts. A new year represents new possibilities and a second (or third) chance to get things right.
One thing I know I need to get right this year is my health. For a long time, I have forsaken my health while I pay attention to what I thought were more important things such as doing well in university and working hard in my job. But these past few months, I’ve reached a new low in my lack of health-care. My foodie-ness is through the roof. I eat when I’m cold. I eat when I’m tired. I eat when I’m hungry. I go to the gym but not as regularly as I should. I think my body has had enough.
As I turn 21 this Saturday, I want to make a few commitments to myself:
- I promise to eat clean – clean eating is consuming food in its most natural state, or as close to it as possible. More clean eating tips here.
- Drink at least two litres of water a day.
- Go to the gym at least 3 times a week- Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday (flexible depending on schedule)
- Reducing sugar levels from 3 spoons to a maximum of one spoon and gradually decrease until I wean myself off completely.
- Go to the doctors’ twice a year for a health check.
This is here as a reminder to myself and for you to keep me accountable. If you spot me anywhere eating a burger, spaghetti bolognese or pizza, please take a picture of me as I dig into my food and tweet me or post a picture on my wall and remind me that I’m backsliding. Seriously.
It will be really difficult! Apparently it takes more than two months before new behavior becomes automatic – 66 days to be exact. But I know when I look back a year later, I’ll be thankful for these changes.
I’ll leave you with this song- Happy Day by Patoranking, which I love and will be dancing to on my birthday. Happy born day to me!
© Tessy Maritim